Hispanic Festival today.. URGENT Verizon Wireless customer alert.. NJT bridge closings.. NJQSAC forum set.. On Maria's letter to Jerry Green..
Plainfield Today: (Click HERE to read the posts serially, otherwise take your pick below. There are more stories up than posted below, and more go up during the day. -- Dan)
- "7th Annual Hispanic Heritage Festival today"
- "NJT Bridge Work: Central Avenue, New Street closed"
- "Verizon Wireless will share ALL your private info unless you opt out" -- Urgent notice to Verizon Wireless cellphone customers!
- "21M pounds of Topps frozen hamburgers recalled"
Plain Talker: "Carter Responds to NJQSAC on Oct. 18"
Crescent Times: "Did comments [on Green letter] answer questions?"
Plainfield Trees: "Chestnuts" -- and a surprise BONUS tree that will intrigue you.
Campaign Blogs: Cory Storch | Deborah Dowe -- The candidates will be posting frequently.
West End: "Revitalization group refocuses after denial of five-year grant request" -- P.O.W.E.R.
Rescue Squad: "Central Jersey responders: EMS not in critical condition"
Jena Update: "Jena 6 Teen Mychal Bell Released on $45,000 Bail"
.......... - Anita Allen: "Desegregating shade trees everywhere"
Surveillance Systems: "Cameras aid Newark's crime-fighting efforts"
Got a tip? Question? Click here to send PT an email.
REAL ESTATE SUNDAY
Buying Foreclosures: "The pickings are plentiful, but not easy"BIG PICTURE
Heating Costs: "Taking action to save on heating" -- Costs projected to go through the roof this season.
Mortgage Prepayments: "Is it a good idea to make prepayments?"
Mortgage Ads: "FTC goes after deceptive mortgage ads"TOOLS
Subprime Mortgage 'Workouts': "Can these mortgages be saved" -- Looks like lenders scamming, to me.
Mortgages: "US Mortgage Payment Index"
Buy or Rent?: "Cost Comparison Tool" -- Enter your own values to calculate which is better, buying or renting. A really neat tool!
Ledger: "Home Finder", "Premier Estates" and "Real Estate" sections online.
Courier: "Real Estate" section online.
NYTimes: "This Week's Residential Sales Around the Region"
Trulia: "Your Personal Real Estate Google"
- Today - September 30. 10 AM. 2nd Annual Westry Horne Tennis Classic. Finals. Proceeds benefit Westry Horne Scholarship Fund. At the Netherwood Tennis Club.
- Today - September 30. 10 AM - 6 PM. 7th Annual Hispanic Heritage Festival. West Front Street, between Park and Madison Avenues. Food, fun, entertainment, crafts, and information tables. (Rain date: October 7.) Sponsor: Latin American Coalition. Check it out!
- Today - September 30. 1:30 PM. FOSH's Annual Blessing of the Animals. In conjunction with the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi. Representatives of local religious and spiritual traditions will offer blessings. At Leland Avenue Park. Sponsor: Friends of Sleepy Hollow. Info: Fosh website. All are invited.
- Today - September 30. Noon - 5 PM. 12th Annual Fanny Wood Day. Classic car show, parade, food, entertainment. South and Martine Avenues, Fanwood.
- Tomorrow - October 1. 7:30 PM. City Council Agenda Session. City Hall Library. 515 Watchung Avenue.
- Tuesday - October 2. 5:15 - 7 PM. YMCA's 'Strong Kids' Campaign Kickoff. The YMCA has a goal of $60,000 for membership scholarships for kids. Kickoff reception with hors d'oeuvres, music by Joe Bonini. Co-chairs Mindy Scarlett of the Scarlett Foundation and Michael Smith of Investor Savings Bank. RSVP to: Addy Bonet, firstname.lastname@example.org or (908) 756-6060.
- Tuesday - October 2. 5:30 - 8 PM. Networking Event: 'Emotional Intelligence for Women - Building Personal and Organizational Presence'. Sponsor: YWCA of Central NJ and TWIN Management Forum. Host: Schering-Plough, Bldg K-15, 2000 Galloping Hill Rd., Kenilworth. $25 members/$30 guests. Info: (908) 473-2136.
- Wednesday - October 3. 8 PM. City Council Business Meeting. City Council Chambers/Courthouse. Watchung Avenue and East 4th Street.
Asbury Park: "State will oversee Asbury Park School Finances"
Mims Hackett, The Movie: "The plot thickens for mayor of Orange"
Newark: "Walking tour tracks Newark's renewal"
Orange: "Orange budget calls for 6.6 percent increase in taxes"
Pru Center: "Top acts bypassing Prudential Center" -- Battle of the Venues.
Roselle Park: "Portuguese restaurant opens - at last - after meeting parking requirement"
Union County Dems: "Outsourcing Poll: Saving a penny but losing a vote"
Union Hospital: "Staff mourns as hospital breathes its last"
The Auditor - For political junkies: "Sunday, September 30, 2007"
2007 Legislative Elections: "Biggest election challenge: Getting voters to care"
Duke 'Rape' Case: "Duke president apologizes to lacrosse players"
Deer Disease: "Lethal disease is leaving trail of deer in its wake"
High Tech Police Work: "Cell phone signal leads to suspect in arcade theft"
Pols & PACs: "Party bigs gain clout through PACs"
Ethics Reform - A Courier Special Report:
Overview: "Trenton yet to come clean"Sheneman's Cartoon is here.
Norcross: "Power broker Norcross not shy about influence"
Roberts: "Roberts' business deals raise questions"
Codey: "Codey putting corruption fight in voters' hands"
Margulies' Cartoon is here.
NATION / WORLD
Conservatives: "Big coffers and rising voice at 'Freedom's Watch'"
Electoral College: "GOP electoral initiative dealt major blows"
Iraq: "IEDs: The single most effective weapon against our forces"
Limbaugh: "Limbaugh criticizes anti-war soldiers"
Myanmar: "U.N. Envoy Arrives for Talks With Ruling Junta"
Pakistan: "Pakistani Police Attack Lawyers, Reporters"
State Dept. IG Affair: "State Dept. Agents Say Jobs Were Threatened"
Black Reporters: "Reporting While Black"
Dishing Doctors: "Doctors bristle at Web sites that rate MDs"
The Internet: "Weaving a brave new Web"
Jenna Bush: "Jenna begins book tour, media blitz" -- No, it's not about her service in the military.
Justice Clarence Thomas: "Justice Thomas Lashes Out in Memoir"
'Nonworkers': "The Census looks at the life of the 'nonworker'"
Kids' Health: "Ban sought on OTC cold medicines for very young"
Miss Manners: Check out the nation's doyenne of conduct here in the Washington Post.
BOOK REVIEW LINKS: NY Times | Wash Post | Ledger | NY Rev Bks | London Rev Bks |