Abbott Manor update.. Waiting on schools report.. NNO: Ward 2 tonight.. Union County taxpayers foot the bill for Dem shenanigans..
Plainfield Today: (Click HERE to read the posts serially, otherwise take your pick below. There are more stories up than posted below, and more go up during the day. -- Dan)
- "Plainfield case breaks ground in historic preservation law"
- "NNO continues: Ward 2 Challenge events tonight"
- "Putting the thumb on the Union County taxpayers' scale"
Crescent Times: "Hats off to the VWB District and Dottie Gutenkauf"
Plainfield Trees: "The Japanese Pagoda Tree"
Van Wyck Brooks HD: "Abbott Manor court case update"
Drugs: "Plainfield man faces seven years in prison"
Property Tax Rebates: "First property tax rebates on the way"
- Route 18: "Construction shuts Route 18's Albany Street ramp" -- Through late August 2007.
- Route 287: "Work on 287 between Stelton Road and Turnpike Exit" -- To continue through Nov. 2008.
- Today. July 31. 6 - 8 PM. Ward 2 NNO Challenge. Planting at Netherwood Station. Painting bathrooms of the Fieldhouse at Seidler Field (North Avenue, across from Netherwood Station). Poster making at Seidler Field. Rain date: Wednesday. All Welcome. Those who register can attend the Celebration Party (see below).
- Today. July 31. 8 - 10 PM. Ward 2 NNO Celebration Party. Registered participants who helped in the evening's activities are invited to a party at the YMCA, 518 Watchung Avenue.
- Today. July 31. 7 PM. Board of Ed, Special Meeting. Board structure, Superintendent search, Human Resource item. Clinton School Cafetorium. Clinton Avenue & West 4th Street. Public invited.
- Wednesday. August 1. 7:30PM. Union County Summer Arts Concerts. Featuring Mustang Sally (Country). Blankets, lawn chairs, picnic baskets welcome. Food vendors available. In case of rain, concerts will be in Cranford HS Auditorium. Info: (908) 352-8410 or www.ucnj.org/. FREE.
- Thursday. August 2. 9 AM - 3ish PM. Farmer's Market: Stillman Farms of Robbinsville. Fresh fruits and veggies. Vacant lot between City Hall and Salvation Army, Watchung Avenue.
- Thursday. August 2. 3 - 8 PM. Ward 4 NNO Challenge: Grant Avenue Block Party.
- Thursday. August 2. 5 PM. Ward 4 NNO Challenge: 'Unity in the Community' Day. Music, games and more. Rushmore Park, West 3rd & Rushmore Avenue. Rain date, Monday, August 6.
- Friday. August 3. Ward 3 NNO Challenge. Cleanup at Baptist/Methodist Cemeteries, Plainfield Avenue (Daytime on Friday and Saturday). Clothes drive. Block Party in the evening, starting at Pemberton and Parkside. Details to come.
- Friday. August 3. 7 - 10 PM. Literary Weekend: Days of Encouragement and Deliverance. Authors, poets, speakers and soloists. Sponsor: Blackberry's Restaurant, 4th & Watchung. Prices vary. Info: (908) 444-8950.
- Saturday. August 4. 9 AM - 4 PM. Business Empowerment Conference. Ideas and connections for small business, including making the most of the Port Authority's Light Rail project. Sponsor: B.O.S.S. Register online. Location: HeardOne Complex, 210 Church Street, Plainfield. Info: (908) 757-5155.
- Saturday. August 4. 11 AM. NNO Bike Rodeo / Youth Day. Sponsored by the Plainfield Police Division and the National Night Out Committee. At Library Park. FREE.
- Saturday. August 4. 7 - 10 PM. Literary Weekend: Days of Encouragement and Deliverance. Authors, poets, speakers and soloists. Sponsor: Blackberry's Restaurant, 4th & Watchung. Prices vary. Info: (908) 444-8950.
- Saturday. August 4. Dusk. NNO Youth Event: 'The Pursuit of HappYness' (movie). At Library Park. FREE.
- Sunday. August 5. 7 PM. Rose of Sharon NNO Community Celebration. Neighborhood March, Program, Refreshments.'Give Neighborhood Crime and Drugs a Going Away Party.' Rose of Sharon Church Parking Lot, 825 West 7th Street. All are invited.
- Tuesday. August 7. 6:30 PM. National Night Out: Going Away Party for Crime and Drugs. Music, food, community information tables. At City Hall, 515 Watchung Avenue. All are invited.
Bridgewater - CN: "Intruders terrorize family in Bridgewater"
..... - SL: "Fast-thinking family foils home invasion" -- How's this for response time?
Clark: "Clark schools boss encouraged by SCC on fall openings"
Franklin Twp.: "Franklin recall ballot to be set this week"
Piscataway: "Seniors development raises concerns in Piscataway"
Somerset County: "Park commission turns over records to state"
Union County College/Magnet School: "Boy wizards head off to Cornell"
Civil Unions - SL: "UPS gives package deal to gay couples"
..... - NYT: "United Parcel Service Agrees to Benefits"
Commerce Bank: "A Banker’s Last Day at the Office, in a Bank He Built Aggressively"
Devereaux Trial - SL: "Former official is found guilty"
State Police: "N.J. State Police force accredited by watchdog"
Supremes: "Police need cause to search disabled autos"
Sheneman's Cartoon is here.
Margulies' Cartoon is here.
NATION / WORLD
2008 Campaign - OpEd, SL: John Farmer: "Clinton bests Obama in foreign policy clash"
Cheney Interview - WP: "Cheney Disputes Libby Verdict, Voices Support for Gonzales" -- Okaaaay...
Middle East - WP: "Iran Is Critical as U.S. Unveils Arms Sales in the Middle East"
Supreme Court - WP: "Chief Justice Suffers Seizure"
Veterans - AP: "House Passes Four Bills Aimed at Helping Veterans"
Business Intelligence: "What! You never left one in a library book?"
Eminent Domain: "Lodi trailer park residents trash town's redevelopment grab"
NJ's 'Italian Hot Dog': "Happy 75th to (urp) an N.J. treat"
National Archives: "Amazon to Copy and Sell Archives' Footage"
Pell Grants: "Congressman wants students to get grants year-round"
Miss Manners: Check out the nation's doyenne of conduct here in the Washington Post.
BOOK REVIEW LINKS: NY Times | Wash Post | Ledger | NY Rev Bks | London Rev Bks |