More on tainted beef and Plainfield schools.. More on Muhlenberg rally.. Cop's DWI case ruling.. GOP seeks Council candidates..
Plainfield Plaintalker: "Thanks for Landlord-Tenant Session"
Crescent Times: "Taxes did go up" | "Don't we need an update from the Council?" | "Thanks to Bob Kraus, Esq."
Plainfield Trees: "English Holly" -- Today, a NEW entry on Plainfield's trees.
Councilors are blogging: Check out Cory Storch (here) and Rashid Burney (here).
Cop's DWI Case: "Prior alcohol-related incident ruled inadmissible"
Council Elections: "Republicans seek potential city council candidates"
Muhlenberg: "City group rallies against hospital facility closing" -- You read it here first.
Showtime at the Apollo: "Plainfield native Chanj positioned to win big" -- Glenn Adams, Jr.
Letter, CN: Broderick Fleming: "Valor Awards richly deserved in Plainfield"
Letter, CN: Jill Anderson: "Theater wouldn't be a good draw in Plainfield"
Obituary: "Willie A. Smith Jr., school district's supervisor of buildings and grounds"
School Desegregation in NJ: "The unspoken rules within and outside the classroom" -- Last in a multi-part series.
Got a tip? Question? Click here to send PT an email.
- SPECIAL NOTE:
- Youth Basketball Program's 'Night Out With The Parents' Dance. Tomorrow, 9 PM - 2 AM. DJ, Hors d'oeuvres. Dress to impress: No sneakers, boots or head gear. At: BUF, West 7th and Central Avenue. $15 at the door, $10 in advance. Info: Lenny Cathcart, (908) 822-7249, or Phillip Pender, (908) 922-9480.
- Today - February 29. 7 PM. Van Wyck Brooks Dine-Out at Blackberry's. What better way to celebrate Leap Day than to join friends and neighbors -- or meet some new folks -- than a dinner out at Plainfield's crossroads restaurant -- Blackberry's. Dutch treat, but RSVP to co-ordinator Arne Aakre here so the restaurant will know how many to expect. Blackberry's is at 5th & Watchung, across from City Hall.
- Sunday - March 2. 2-4 PM. The New Deal's 75th Anniversary. PHS' Henry H. Banta chapter of National Honor Society will re-enact the dramatic 1993 inaugural address of Franklin D. Roosevelt -- the kickoff of the 'New Deal' which combated the country's worst Depression ever. Sponsored by the Historical Society of Plainfield. At the Drake House, 602 West Front Street (at Plainfield Avenue). FREE.
- Wednesday - March 5. 8-9:30 AM. Multi-Chamber of Commerce Meet-and-Greet. The Plainfield Chamber of Commerce hosts the CNJB2B Network and the Piscataway/Middlesex/South Plainfield Chamber of Commerce at a meet-and-greet. Breakfast will be served. Polish your 'elevator speech'! At Suburban Jewelers, 126 East Front Street (parking in Second Street lot). Bring scrap gold to sell. 10% off any purchases during meeting. $15 members/$20 non-members. Info: (908) 753-2296. Be sure to RSVP so there is enough breakfast ordered!
- Wednesday - March 5. Daylong conference begins with breakfast at 7:30 AM. Governor's Conference on Women. Atlantic City Convention Center. More info on the Conference website.
Sharpe James Case: "Feds: James steered illegal deals to girlfriend"
Kean U. Intersection: "Residents fighting project in Union"
New Brunswick: "Redevelopment plan stalls in final phase" -- Work on 200 condos, supermarket not yet started.
Rahway: "Black history comes to life in Rahway"
South Plainfield: "Truck-route panel sees long road ahead"
Union Twp.: "Ban ends dancing at lounge" -- Outside which 3 Plainfield men were shot last weekend.
Corzine Budget --
- Hospitals: "Hospitals fear N.J. budget will force closings"
- Small Towns: "Small town Jersey faces tough choices"
Legislature: "Six weeks' paid family leave gains"
Meadowlands Development: "Report blasts plan for landfills, seeks probe" -- Record | Ledger | NYTimes | -- As 'hometown' paper, Record has best coverage, including video.
UMDNJ: "Heart doctors admit no-show jobs"
Sheneman's Cartoon is here.
Margulies' Cartoon is here.
NATION / WORLD
2008 Campaigns --
- Obama: "With a stampede of speeches, Obama's got Texas talking"
- Obama: "For Obama, a Taste of What a Long Battle Holds"
- Clinton: "A Strong Woman Taking Orders"
- Superdelegates: "Obama Cutting Into Clinton’s Edge Among Superdelegates"
- Texas: "Texas on Pace for Record Voter Turnout" -- That would be the far side of 3M.
- McCain: "Conservatives are out of options; McCain's the guy"
- Nader: "The Relevance of Ralph"
EPA: "Outspoken scientist dismissed from panel on chemical safety"
Housing Relief: "Republicans Block Housing Relief Proposal in Senate"
Food Supplies: "USDA Rejects 'Downer' Cow Ban"
Risk, Reality & Rules: Floyd Norris: "Why Surprises Still Lurk After Enron"
Leap Day: "Oh! For the love of Leap Day!"
William F. Buckley, An Appreciation: John Farmer: "As the right recedes, it loses its great apostle"
Cellphones: "Hoping to Make Phone Buyers Flip"
Sprint/Nextel: "Sprint plan pushes lower limit" -- Hoping to survive, throws in kitchen sink.
BOOK REVIEW LINKS: NY Times | Wash Post | Ledger | NY Rev Bks | London Rev Bks |